🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

dumb, just like a blonde female

Started by
25 comments, last by garconbifteck 22 years, 8 months ago
quote: Original post by garconbifteck
Thats whats scary dude im 14 im supposed to be trying to get a girl not learning how to make fecking games.....

The two are not mutually exclusive. Anyone who points to his/her technical involvements as an excuse for social ineptitude is lame, and gives geeks a bad image.
Advertisement
Thats whats scary dude im 14 im supposed to be trying to get a girl not learning how to make fecking games.....

Well think of it this way. If a girl sees you in the computer store, chances are she''s a nerd too . Otherwise no one will ever know. You''re golden either way!

Seriously though man, don''t be ashamed of what you''re interested in. All the guys I knew when I was 14 that spent all their time trying to get girls, guess what they''re doing now...still trying to get girls. Guess what the girls are doing? Hanging out with mature, educated guys like me (OK that was a little self-absorbed, sorry).

"So crucify the ego, before it''s far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that''s imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool

"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
quote:
I always disagree with this bit of conventional wisdom (it''s the root of much C++ programming malpractice). Beginners can start out in C++ just as comfortably as they can in C, provided they are properly instructed. As proof, I point to the fact that many schools have switched to teaching intro programming classes in Java.

I wasn''t saying he should start with C, I was just saying that as he''s starting out he shouldn''t be to concerned with the differneces between the two. A good book will explain those as he learns.

"So crucify the ego, before it''s far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that''s imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool

"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
quote: Original post by Oluseyi
I''d say go for C++. It''s way more capable, and encompasses all of C, so you can always "fall back" on C (with a little confusion) when you have to.

Almost all. The struct hack doesn''t work in C++ (it''s a very nice feature in C), same with a couple other weird features. In the end though: If someone starts with C++, they tell everyone else to do the same since they think it''s the right thing to do. If someone starts with C, they tell everyone else to do the same since they think it''s the right thing to do. I started with C (well, technically C++, but I went back to C after less than a month), so I personally think C is the better one to start with. I use C++ now, so in reality I don''t really care what you start with. Either way: you get games.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
i''m gonna buy the book :-) , just outta interest though i don''t care if its three years before i get something to work but what sort of things will i start like making?
i''m gonna buy the book :-) , just outta interest though i don''t care if its three years before i get something to work but what sort of things will i start like making?
so you are telling me go for c ?

Basicly, C and C++ are understood by most compilers like VC++ or CodeWarrior or Borland C++. As another one already said, C is part of C++. They live in symbiosis( hope I wrote that right ). So the best place to start is C++ as most programmers today use some part of C++ as inside their code. ( notice that I say most and not all, there are still some that code stricly C ).

Hope this helps...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
[Cyberdrek | ]
lemme resay my question how long does it take to "do something"
quote: Original post by Cyberdrek
Basicly, C and C++ are understood by most compilers like VC++ or CodeWarrior or Borland C++.

It might surprise you to know that VC++''s C compilation lags behind its C++ (it''s not as nearly standards-compliant as the C++ compilation). Not that its C++ compilation is full compliant, but whose is anyway?

Maybe Intel.

I don''t use C anymore (which is why I lost interest in drivers [low-level, not Windows] and kernels), so I don''t care. And when C++0x lands, I''ll go back to the hardware.
I am clueless i can do java-script...
I wanna do something with programming, oh yeah im 14 nearly 15
can anyone direct me north, south, east, west i wanna learn c or c++ but nowhere explains the differences what can be done with each, or are they virtually the same thing i just need someone to direct me the way of a beginner..... with christmas coming up i should get a bit of money but can anyone tell me a beginners book to buy, that perhaps i could get for under £50?
is that possible cos a java-script book was £35.....

Quick hint: check out http://www.informit.com/free_library/ . There are free books, including "Teach Yourself C in 21 Days". Save your money. :-)

-Steven

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement