Advertisement

Sprite/tile editor

Started by April 28, 2002 05:15 AM
8 comments, last by Krice 22 years, 4 months ago
I''m on a mission to find a sprite editor. This far I haven''t been lucky. The editor I''m looking for should beat my Stile-editor (DOS/freeware from Files-page at http://koti.mbnet.fi/paulkp/) which works in 256 color mode. But I need true color editor and it is beginning to look like I have to make one myself... Unless you know better one.
For true colour, you may be good to go for Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop. They''re expensive though, which sucks.

I use Pro Motion for 256-colour sprite editing, and it''s really good. It''s similar to Deluxe Paint and clones.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
Advertisement
PSP and Photoshop are good, but not great for sprite/tile drawing. Sprite Artist is "the best" editor (as the programmer says) around but it''s way too simple. Tile Studio is another good one, but it''s crap as well. I think sprite editors are in most cases made by programmers, not artists. That''s why they suck.
Check out gale, i haven''t played much with it yet but it seems pretty good http://www.tempest-j.com/gale/e/
Gale is not exactly what I was looking for. It doesn''t even fill the first rule: the second mouse button is eraser/another color. In Gale the second button is selection. Why? Because Gale is made by a programmer, not an artist.
Well, it''s the first sprite editor I''ve ever tried, so it seems fine to me. I just hope it will allow me to put together separate images to create an animation, because it certainly allow you to start from scratch. And then those separate images must match. I''m trying to figure it out, but I also emailed the Gale people.

And it supports up to 24bit colour - isn''t that what you wanted?
Advertisement
im just trying to figure out what you need so many colors for... unless youre going to try to import like a 3d render or something... beacuse if youre going to draw a sprite from scratch in the editor, then i dont see the point for 16 mill colors when im sure you wont use more than 100
Well that is an option, to make 256 color platform game and then I would draw the graphics with good ol'' Stile. I''m just wondering the lack of good sprite editors.
I dont understand my sprite editor...I can create a .spr file but i could do it using one of a 2 diffrent palettes yet both are 256 color. So far ive used the first palette, but for what im doing now i needed more shades of brown and this other palette had it. If i interchange the palette between 2 sprite files, will the program know this or what. For instance on the first palette the byte value written to memory for a deep shade of blue is 242, but its a light shade of brown in the other palette, and they both contain 256 colors. This has me a little confused but art really isnt my area. If anyone can help me out with this id be greatful
...and that's where I saw the leprechaun...he told me to burn things.
Try it and see what happens. If there is no conversion of any kind, you should see brown where there was blue. It''s possible to make conversion which looks the closest value from the new palette, but that is sometimes very limited conversion at least when the new palette doesn''t have that color at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement