Advertisement

GMAX - What are your opinions.

Started by February 05, 2002 03:28 AM
5 comments, last by AbsolutDew 22 years, 7 months ago
Im interested in learning 3D modeling. I actually have access to max 4, but it''s overwhelming and i decided against using it for now. I did however stumble across gmax, and decided that it would be a good start, and when my skills improved it would be an easy (relative) transition to max. What do you think?
useless. Only allow some file formats, is very limited. I stay with max 4.2 =)

-----------------------------------------------

"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
Advertisement
nice, but useless. If you have access to the full version, learn that - if not there is always the free maya around.
its Like a drug dealer''s free sample gone bad, if the idea was to get you hooked to it, and make you eventually buy the full blown MAX 4, they should had at least leave the export function available, or at least publish the .gmax file specs somewhere, personally I downloaded it, toyed around with it for a while, and after learning there is no import/export, and no plugins at all to export/import not even to .3ds, I went back to AC3D and MilkShape.

FREE MAYA???? WHERE?

Ack. Ok.. glad i asked =)

Most of you recommend milkshape then i take it? I played with it for like 10 seconds and didn''t really like the feel. but then what do i know. guess ill grab it again. anyone know some good tutorials to use with it?
Free Maya = http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Special/ple_announce/index.html

Feb.2002. Should be pretty soon eh?

Biere et punk
Advertisement
Wow, free Maya! I hope it''s not too much unlike the current version of Maya complete. This is what companies should have been doing ages ago. Giving out free copies with a few features cut out so that students and aspiring 3D artists can learn the program and have some qualifications. That way when it comes to getting a job, the company would be buying the software anyway...Everyone''s a winner. I reckon a lot more companies might use Maya if more artists were trained in it. At present I have student version of 3DSM 3.1 and that cost me $300 AUS. Although the images aren''t watermarked though...

As for Gmax it is good for learning 3D graphics but it''s so similar to the proper 3DSM that you might as well use the proper version.
--------------------------"640K ought to be enough for anybody."-Bill Gates 1981

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement