Advertisement

Try to start a thread that isn't about...

Started by February 04, 2002 12:48 AM
5 comments, last by bishop_pass 22 years, 7 months ago
Try to start a thread that isn''t about any of the following:
  • Any software package or any type of software package.
  • Any mathematical technique.
  • Textures, tiles, 3d models, polygons, or sprites.
  • Any particular game genre.
  • Any API.
Kind of tough, isn''t it? Here''s some ideas:
  • Light.
  • Shadows.
  • Mood.
  • Composition.
  • Nature.
  • Anatomy.
  • Reflections.
  • Architecture.
Why, you ask? Well, despite the fact that it will likely get few replies in it, such topics are worthy of discussion. They are applicable regardless of those items in the first list, and they help to flex the understanding, motivation and philosophical undercurrents present in all art making, rather than focus on the switches and numbers one manipulates to produce the art. ___________________________________
Fair enough, but sometimes those other topics need to be discussed. Hmmm let''s talk about composition...any takers? I see what you mean though..it''s just the nature of the games industry which makes the technology a focal point.

I got one. When it comes to lighting in a 3D render I feel that coloured lighting can be over done. Sure it looks cool and sets the mood but sometimes it seems overused, am I the only one who thinks this?

--------------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -Bill Gates 1981
--------------------------"640K ought to be enough for anybody."-Bill Gates 1981
Advertisement
quote: Original post by dimitri_gamer
Fair enough, but sometimes those other topics need to be discussed.

Sure. I didn''t specify that the other topics should be replaced by the ones I proposed. I said: try to start a topic that isn''t about...

Which can mean: among all of the topics that you start, let some actually be about such and such...

Hmmm let''s talk about composition...any takers?

I started a thread on composition. It received 29 replies, which is darn near ten times the average number of replies a thread in this forum receives. It is called Thematic composition.

I see what you mean though..it''s just the nature of the games industry which makes the technology a focal point.

An analogy would be: the technology behind a camera is the focal point of photography. And that is a fallacy. The focal point behind photography is composition, light, form, tonality, color, emotion, movement, weather, nature, people...

I got one. When it comes to lighting in a 3D render I feel that coloured lighting can be over done. Sure it looks cool and sets the mood but sometimes it seems overused, am I the only one who thinks this?

Start a thread on this. I''ll be happy to discuss the finer nuances of color and light.

I''m looking at all of the recent threads in here...

What about Sketching? That''s pretty generic isn''t it? Personally I''d like to get a few tips on improving sketching or just general things to keep in mind while I''m doing it.
Well, TechnoHydra (and dimitri_gamer), what are we waiting for? Hop to it! Make those threads! Sketching, set lighting...

Advertisement
quote: An analogy would be: the technology behind a camera is the focal point of photography. And that is a fallacy. The focal point behind photography is composition, light, form, tonality, color, emotion, movement, weather, nature, people...

Good point, but 3D graphics are a relatively new technology compared with photography. And it''s a lot easier to point a camera at a real person walking than it is to create an animation from scratch.

What I like to see is a combination of technique/technolgy based posts. Say for instance someone gives a tip on creating a particular kind of texture in Photoshop (or Gimp whatever) but also discusses why it is successful from a technical point of view. How colour, contrast and direction is used to create a realistic (or otherwise) texture.

The thing is, this is supposed to be a gamedev forum. Meaning mainly realtime 3D graphics. But when it comes to something like 3D art, most of us (including myself) invest time in the pre-rendered type because we don''t work for game companies with game programmers at your side. Actually a little side note, if you don''t already have Unreal Tournament get the Game of the Year Edition with Unreal Editor 2 that comes with it. It''s also a good compliment to pre-rendered 3D work in the sense that it teaches you important disciplines and realities about realtime work...such as keeping a balance between game speed and playability by keeping the poly count down, and having enough lush eye candy too.

Ok so I''ve strayed from the the main point a bit...

As for starting these threads myself, I don''t always feel compelled to considering I only visit these forums average once a week and that I''m always learning and discussing the principles of art at college... anyhoo......

--------------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -Bill Gates 1981
--------------------------"640K ought to be enough for anybody."-Bill Gates 1981

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement