🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What map style should i choose?

Started by
2 comments, last by trolle95 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm trying to make a 2d game with map style like Heroes of Might & Magic V, but except i want the game to be in
squares. So on every square there could be a city or a camp or something, and how do i approach that best?
- The map could be like 5x5 squares of a total of 25, but how do i begin with making the map?

I read that i can make some tiles for a tilemap and make the map. But what are the other options or are the tilemap the best option for my game? ?

i'm using unity

Hope i explained it right. Else ask, thanks!

Advertisement

There has been an article about that topic decades ago on this page. I found it by googling (seems to be the time for a bookmarking feature here on GD.net)

https://www.gamedev.net/articles/programming/general-and-gameplay-programming/tiles-to-curves-fun-with-voronoi-graphs-part-1-r5150/

It describes how normal tilemaps can be made looking really impressive so maybe this is a good starting point for you since I guess you want to have the feeling of Might and Magic but not that old-school look ?

Thanks man, i had google too, but didn't know what to google about what i needed ?

Much appriciated! Good evening

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement