🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I have a few questions about video game development.

Started by
4 comments, last by 1024 3 years, 10 months ago

I am a beginner programmer and I am interested in creating a 2D turn-based pixel-art or vector game like Final Fantasy to sell on Steam or another application. It seems to be widely accepted that C++ is the way to go, but would this be a good language for this type of game? Should I consider others such as C# or Python? Also, if anybody knows some great courses that would help me, please recommend. Thanks.

Advertisement

The real question is;

Does it work for you?

Especially since you're your own boss with this, your own instincts are the most important.
The “good for this type of game” discussion is primarily about engines (such as RPG Maker) anyway, and small games will fit into any engine.
As for courses, you're probably best off looking up tutorials on youtube.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

If you want to learn from the resources available, then Unity is probably the best bet you can get. It has more tutorials and resources as every other engine.

Otherwise there is no rule of thumb to use a certain language for any game. It depends on the engine you use/ the OS APIs you want to access. You can even run your own engine from scratch and build your game on top, there aren't any limits for as long as you don't need to pay for anything. Running on a budget may limit the possibilities you have, while the more you are doing on your own, the more time you have to spend while the more you're on a budget, the more you'll be set on commercial software.

Looking at Evoland 2, they made a successful game in Flash so everything is spossible

Thanks a lot for the advice, some helpful pointers in the posts.

SpaceWolf said:
It seems to be widely accepted that C++ is the way to go

The “best way” to transport cargo is a freight train. But, if you can't drive a train (or a truck), the best way for you is a van. C++ is the industry standard language, but the industry includes companies that can hire C++ programmers. If you work alone, then the best language is the one that you know how to use best.

And if you don't know any languages, then the best one is the one that you can learn best (fastest, easiest, best tutorials…) . And for game development, the best way is usually to use a game engine. Unity is the go-to beginner's choice, because as Shaarigan said, it has the most (and among them probably the best) learning resources.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement