🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Newbie : FMOD, Wwise and Unreal

Started by
2 comments, last by Gnollrunner 5 years ago

Hi there,

I'm advanced sound engineer in music industry, post production and also sound designer.

I would like to work in game industry as sound designer.  

When i look job vacancies , i always see that most vacancies mention " Fmod, Wwise, Unreal (engines) skills and C++ )

Guys, i know that these programs and C++ is not easy,

Could you give me advice ? How is the fast way to learn C++,  How long should i study C++ to get level for a sound designer? (i can study everyday)

Is it true that first of all  i should learn C++ to use Wwise and Unreal engines?

Thanks for advice

Advertisement

I learned C++ online, but that might not work for everybody.  You should need about 2-3 months if you seriously study, but for casually learning, it could take 9 months.  I don't know about Wwise, but you don't necessarily need C++ for unreal engine.  You can do slightly more, but unreal's blueprint works fine for most things.

I am an indie game developer who enjoys pixel art games.

My advice is don't so much learn C++, but use C++ and learn it as you go. Start programming and do some small projects. Start with text (console) programs. Then maybe add in the SFML library and so some graphics.  I leaned C first so at least I had a basis to build on. I recommend learning the basic C ish stuff first, adding in classes, then adding in templates and finally the standard library. This way you will really understand C++ at it's core.

For example you will understand that a member function is just a normal function with an extra parameter, that being a pointer to a structure.  I have a good friend who went though an entire game programming / CS degree program and didn't fully understand this. He was amused by the fact that you could call a member function with a null pointer to an object and it would actually work (although it may not be technically legal).  In any case this kind of information will help you when you are trying to solve odd problems.

I should warn you that my advice is 100% the opposite from the advice you will get from many other people. They will tell you to learn "modern" C++ first. I find some people can do this, but with others it gets them into trouble. You will have to find what works best for you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement