🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for game engine, which supports multiplayer networking.

Started by
8 comments, last by osemoka 5 years, 1 month ago

Hi
 I am searching through the net to find engines which are capable of creating multiplayer games in easy way. It’s a part of my programing task at collage. I’ve already “mastered” Unity and Godot engines for that purpose. They have high level api for that, which im fond of. I just need to create simple 2D games like tic tac toe over the network…
Now I'm learing a defold engine with a colyseus server based on node.js, but I'm not sure if i'm capable of understand it without any real tutorials...(there's one example, but currently not working cause of colyseus serialization update). I'm a beginner in gameDev world to be honest. My main language is C#, but I don't care what language I'll need to learn. I comprehended GDscript from godot, which is python like in short time.

I'd really appriciate any help or advices. 

Advertisement

Why not create a 2D MP game with Unity?

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

There isn't a game engine that by default provides multiplayer network capabilities because this is like gameplay, it varies from game to game and there isn't a unified solution how one will handle that. You need at least a server anywhere, it dosen't matter if it is a dedicated server anywhere on the net or a local hosted one in the game itself.

Any game engine Unreal, Unity has the capability to communicate to the network via sockets but you have to define how this happens by your own or use third party libraries like Raknet that do the work of general setting up a server and connect to it via clients. However, the game/ server logic has to be implemented by your own

2 hours ago, ryan20fun said:

Why not create a 2D MP game with Unity?

I said that I've already done it. On unity and godot. I need one more engine to complete my task.

1 hour ago, Shaarigan said:

There isn't a game engine that by default provides multiplayer network capabilities because this is like gameplay, it varies from game to game and there isn't a unified solution how one will handle that. You need at least a server anywhere, it dosen't matter if it is a dedicated server anywhere on the net or a local hosted one in the game itself.

Any game engine Unreal, Unity has the capability to communicate to the network via sockets but you have to define how this happens by your own or use third party libraries like Raknet that do the work of general setting up a server and connect to it via clients. However, the game/ server logic has to be implemented by your own

I know I have to define how this happenes, but with High Level Api of Unity and Godot it is very simplified. In unity i used PUN server and and Godot uses PacketPeer implementation using the ENet library. 

I just need the easiest way to accomplish the task. Still I understand a little about networking itself to be honest. 

12 minutes ago, osemoka said:

I just need the easiest way to accomplish the task

So are you asking for a tutorial for colyseus server, a general advice how to create a client/server based game or about networking, that isnt really clear at the moment?

How to use colyseus server there might be tutorials on google and how networking works should be somtething you should ask your tutor at collage.

For the game itself, there is not easy way to do this, it is like asking "I want to develop a game, give me a library that covers the gameplay". Every game is different and every network game is different too, it heavily depends on your game and how you have implemented the gameplay. You need to send different states from one client to another like who's turn is it, what actions did a player do or status updates of a client.

You need to collect those messages on the server, process them and then send the result to every client in the game -or - let the client do processing by its own, send messages to the server and just populate them after a short sanity check to all clients in the game.

This dosen't cover things like security, ping faults, connection management and all those stuff that make a network game stable.

And I think some mod will come sooner or later telling you that this forum isn't for homework so yeah ...

I know all of this you mentioned about.
My question is -> Is there any other engine than unity or godot, which provides high level api for networking. I only need a simple two player game like tic tac toe, which can be played remotly with two clients.

Maybe GameMaker Studio?

CryEngine, Source Engine and Unreal Engine are capable of doing Multiplayer too and there is also a tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpGdOCvWk74

thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement