🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which game engine?

Started by
12 comments, last by Pepsidog 5 years, 3 months ago

Hello,

im new to this forum and i want to ask about which engine i should choose.

I want to do a 2D round based game (like the flash game 'Sonny' & 'Sonny 2' and i understand the basics of python, C and C#. (Did in school and private, but never coded anything privatly)

The game engines im looking at are Unity, Godot or Gamemaker. What are the pros and cons of them? (And it should be free to use)

If you have any other suggestions feel free to share them.

Advertisement

I would suggest unity.  Don’t even consider game maker.  The free version can’t even create a simple platformer.  It can barely make pong.  It costs 30 dollars for a decently capable version of gamemaker.  There is nothing wrong with godot, but it doesn’t work the best on mac.  Unity has plenty of 2d features , such as tilemaps, sprites, physics, and particles.  Also, unity and godot are free.

I am an indie game developer who enjoys pixel art games.

C# is my favorite language. A few years ago Unity supports three languages:

• UnityScript (similar to JS)
  • Boo (similar to Python)
  • C#

But now developers of Unity focuses on C# supporting only. I like it. CryEngine 5 supports C# too but I think supporting of C# in Unity is better than in CE. I do not know what is favorite language on Godot. I think it is GDScript. And I think Godot Team supports GDScript better than Unity Team supports C#. I just like C#. And Unity is better for me than another engines.

Actually, I am doing some MonoGame tutorials. If you want to create a game with C# and learn about game development, I suggest taking a look at MonoGame. Because you're going to build from scratch a lot of things but you will know how to program a game. Intro to MonoGame

Giovanni Cortes

https://gidrek.com

I started learning MonoGame a few years ago. MonoGame uses OpenTK for binding with modern OpenGL. I use OpenTK now to study how engines works under hood. @Gidrek I saved your Intro in bookmarks of browser. I see that you make good tutorials. If I will start learning MonoGame I will study your tutorials. Thank you for your job.

On 3/14/2019 at 10:05 PM, Meovyle said:

The game engines im looking at are Unity, Godot or Gamemaker.

I want to add what I think about it. Everything depend on what do you like: coding or design. Some tools allow to minimize coding for example: Construct 2. Maybe GameMaker is similar to Construct 2. I can wrong. My idea is that some people hate to write text code they prefer to use VPL. I prefer to write code (excepting of UML, Flowchart or DRAKON). I like to use TDD (Test-Driven Development). Unity has built-in tools for TDD.

If you want to know about TDD you can watch this video from the Unity conference Unite 2016 - How to Realize the Benefits of Test Driven Development

59 minutes ago, 8Observer8 said:

I started learning MonoGame a few years ago. MonoGame uses OpenTK for binding with modern OpenGL. I use OpenTK now to study how engines works under hood. @Gidrek I saved your Intro in bookmarks of browser. I see that you make good tutorials. If I will start learning MonoGame I will study your tutorials. Thank you for your job.

Thanks!

MonoGame helps you to learn how to program a video game but without the worries about more low-level programming. I am learning a little of Direct2D and OpenGL just for fun and know some game internals.

Giovanni Cortes

1 minute ago, Gidrek said:

MonoGame helps you to learn how to program a video game but without the worries about more low-level programming.

But now we have a choice: MonoGame or Unity. It is a question: what is interesting for the concrete person: linear algebra, GLSL, reading of specification of OpenGL, game design? We will have very different answers. I do not worry about low-level API because I like to study it. If you worry about low-level API and GLSL you do not be motivated to study OpenGL specification. I write my little 2D and 3D game engine in C#/OpenGL and TypeScript/WebGL because I like to study these books: C# Game Programming and Build your own 2D Game Engine. They are my favorites books. And I spend my time on Unity too. Sorry but MonoGame is not popular like Unity. For example, I know 4 companies in my city that make mobile games in Unity but I do not know companies in my city that makes games in MonoGame. I need to study Unity in short time because I want to work like a freelancer with foreign customers. I need to study GLSL because HLSL is similar to GLSL and I should to know how to write shaders for Unity. I think I cannot write games in Unity without shader skills and with my terrible English skills :) If I to start MonoGame now I will spend my time because I need to start making portfolio. I know that Unity is more popular in freelance websites than MonoGame. I know that I can do it or else it will be death for me. The question is "death or life". My dream is my life. I have been learning Unity and modern OpenGL/WebGL since 2015. I cannot spend my time on MonoGame now. Sorry.

Yes, Unity is by far more popular than MonoGame. As you said, we have a lot of opportunities for making games, not just Unity, we have Godot, Unreal, GameMaker, RPG Maker, Buildbox, Cocos2D. 

I just gave my opinion and is because I like MonoGame :D and for now, just I am doing as a hobby, like a soccer player amateur. If you prefer Unity and OpenGL and is for your dream, go ahead and be happy. 

PD: I have C# Game Programming book too, but now is a little outdated, but is a great book! Do you know that the author has another site? (https://howtomakeanrpg.com/)

Giovanni Cortes

On 3/20/2019 at 4:44 PM, Pepsidog said:

Unity has plenty of 2d features , such as tilemaps, sprites, physics, and particles.  Also, unity and godot are free.

Im not really interested in tilemaps/physics and Godot looks more beginner friendly with its visual script.

So is unity still better tho?

5 hours ago, 8Observer8 said:

C# is my favorite language. A few years ago Unity supports three languages:

• UnityScript (similar to JS)
  • Boo (similar to Python)
  • C#

But now developers of Unity focuses on C# supporting only. I like it. CryEngine 5 supports C# too but I think supporting of C# in Unity is better than in CE. I do not know what is favorite language on Godot. I think it is GDScript. And I think Godot Team supports GDScript better than Unity Team supports C#. I just like C#. And Unity is better for me than another engines.

So what engine is better in doing specific things?

Like your personal favourite?

2 hours ago, Gidrek said:

Actually, I am doing some MonoGame tutorials. If you want to create a game with C# and learn about game development, I suggest taking a look at MonoGame. Because you're going to build from scratch a lot of things but you will know how to program a game. Intro to MonoGame

Hm... going to check it out later.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement