🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Trouble understanding how to build Mozilla's SpiderMonkey for C++ Game Engine projects

Started by
2 comments, last by Hashbrown 5 years, 6 months ago

I'm learning how to implement a scripting language into my c++ game engine, specifically Mozilla's JavaScript engine: SpiderMonkey, but I'm still very confused.

First I try to follow their How to build SpiderMonkey document, but it indicates I need the right build tools for my platform. In my case Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2018 Community as my IDE.

I go to that "build tools" documentation for Windows but it then says Building Firefox for Windows. I guessing the same tools to build Firefox are used for SpiderMonkey, but I'm not sure what part of what I'm installing is overkill, I just want to #include "jsapi.h" in my project.

I realize it's not as easy as including a bunch of header files. I just don't know where to start or how to do this properly. From what I see in the documentation, using the API is very straightforward, but building is so confusing for me :( 

Would anybody know of a more straight forward step by step guide? I can't find one anywhere. 

Advertisement

I had a look at the two links you posted and seemed clear to me how to get the build done.

You need

• Visual Studio 2017 (15.8 Patch)
  • Windows 10 SDK (C++ dependencies to build for Windows)
  • MozillaBuild Package

The last point seems like Mozilla's Build Pipeline.

I recommend to read the two links again and carefully and follow the steps described there should do the trick :)

12 hours ago, Shaarigan said:

I had a look at the two links you posted and seemed clear to me how to get the build done.

You need

• Visual Studio 2017 (15.8 Patch)
  • Windows 10 SDK (C++ dependencies to build for Windows)
  • MozillaBuild Package

The last point seems like Mozilla's Build Pipeline.

I recommend to read the two links again and carefully and follow the steps described there should do the trick :)

Shaarigan thank you very much for the answer, that's all I needed. I kind of felt their documentation confusing. Once I figure everything, out, I'll post a guide just in case others find it confusing as well.

Thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement