🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Noob friendly engines for working out mechanics

Started by
4 comments, last by Foqus 5 years, 7 months ago

Greeting all! 

I have an idea for a game so I'm doing some research. So I was wondering what engines would be best for a noob with minimal experience (modding, MUGEN) to work out some rpg mechanics. I want to create a custom stat, perk, combat and an action based progression system. 

Advertisement

Are you aiming for a 2D game or a 3D game?  Any existing programming knowledge?  Some engines are more forgiving in that aspect than others.

Not sure yet. 2d seems to offer more usability but unless I go isometric I'll have to sacrifice the world. Also the game will feature an animation editor and I don't know animation bones would work very well in that scenario. I would prefer 3d for the flexibility however it seems that it would limit entry level animation and texture modding. I am novice at best at programming.

I understand enough to research and reverse open source code but do not have the experience the create a desired result from scratch. My plan is to flesh out the idea and the start working with coders who know what they are doing lol! 

However I guess initially I need something simple to work out some ideas so I guess 2d would be perfect for that. My main concern at this point is stat, effect(state) management and a way to create a progression system. Graphics and animation can be worked out at a later time 

I'll suggest Godot.

Mend and Defend

Thanks that looks perfect! 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement