🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Add floor in skybox

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 6 years, 1 month ago

Hi everyone,

I would need some assistance from anyone who has a similar experience
or a nice idea!

I have created a skybox (as cube) and now I need to add a floor/ground.
The skybox is created from cubemap and initially it was infinite.
Now it is finite with a specific size. The floor is a quad in the middle
of the skybox, like a horizon.

I have two problems:

1. When moving the skybox upwards or downwards, I need to
    sample from points even above the horizon while sampling
    from the botton at the same time. 
  2. I am trying to create a seamless blending of the texture
    at the points of the horizon, when the quad is connected
    to the skybox. However, I get skew effects.

Does anybody has done sth similar?
Is there any good practice?

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement

I think you meant to post in the graphics subforum?

Hi, i am very intrested in this topic.

If you look to a PS2 game like resident 4, you will see the skybox also have clouds passing by, very nice made.

( i cant find a youtube movie of the last level, they dont look to the skybox )

Anyways this is how i have my skybox with all my super simple tricks :

No floor, the level will generate the horizon.

No looking up either, there is a empty spot, the background wont be cleared so it remembers the last drawn pixels,

you could clear the screen, only it is very cpu demanding, for a simple level you could, then have alpha values in your skybox to blend towards the sky and floor,

you need to add some extra vertices for that.

I made the skybox have selectable wall ammount, from box to cylinder, so it wont look super warped in the corners like a skybox.

The skybox has always the camera position, so it wont move, rotation would look a dumb way to move the clouds.

The textures are mirrored in a selectable ammount, can set how many times you want the texture repeating.

Still no perfect skybox, i hope you find out some more or someone will post it ( i bet the pro`s are typing on skyboxes instead of posting here ).

You could make to load mountain mesh also in the skybox, or some planets and astroids in the skybox.

Still i have exact the same question as you : how to make a flat horizon ?

Look at this movie its for sega saturn so it should be doable very simple somehow ::

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

20 hours ago, d07RiV said:

I think you meant to post in the graphics subforum?

Ok thanks I moved it to graphics.

6 hours ago, the incredible smoker said:

Hi, i am very intrested in this topic.

If you look to a PS2 game like resident 4, you will see the skybox also have clouds passing by, very nice made.

( i cant find a youtube movie of the last level, they dont look to the skybox )

Anyways this is how i have my skybox with all my super simple tricks :

No floor, the level will generate the horizon.

No looking up either, there is a empty spot, the background wont be cleared so it remembers the last drawn pixels,

you could clear the screen, only it is very cpu demanding, for a simple level you could, then have alpha values in your skybox to blend towards the sky and floor,

you need to add some extra vertices for that.

I made the skybox have selectable wall ammount, from box to cylinder, so it wont look super warped in the corners like a skybox.

The skybox has always the camera position, so it wont move, rotation would look a dumb way to move the clouds.

The textures are mirrored in a selectable ammount, can set how many times you want the texture repeating.

Still no perfect skybox, i hope you find out some more or someone will post it ( i bet the pro`s are typing on skyboxes instead of posting here ).

You could make to load mountain mesh also in the skybox, or some planets and astroids in the skybox.

Still i have exact the same question as you : how to make a flat horizon ?

Look at this movie its for sega saturn so it should be doable very simple somehow ::

Hi Thank you very much for your reply. I have moved the post under Graphics. Could you please copy+paste your reply

there? 

Thanks!

THis thread is moved to Graphics:

On 5/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, mmmax3d said:

I have moved the post under Graphics.

No. It's still here. Looks like it was duplicated there. Closing thread.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement