Fixed timestep interpolation

Started by
2 comments, last by MAPster7 7 years, 2 months ago
Hey,
I'm currently on writing my own Engine implementing rather low Level stuff. When trying to implement my physics í stumbled upon The timestep problem. For this i read
http://gafferongames.com/game-physics/fix-your-timestep/
Í like The idea of decoupling The physics rate from The framerate resulting in reproducable physics Engine calculations. However in The End of The article The author talks about Interpolation to avoid aliasing. This Puzzles me:
When you Interpolate you Take Back into Account The framerate which would again Destroy The exact reproducibility of The physics as The framerate May vary from several factors nôt related to physics.
Is this á drawback from The Interpolation method or do Í understand something wrong ?
Greetings
Moritz

(Sorry for random misspellings or accents as my mobile somehow expects me to write german or Icelandic (dont ask :D )
Advertisement
The interpolation is done only for rendering purposes. It does not affect the Physics. Does that make things clear?

When you Interpolate you Take Back into Account The framerate which would again Destroy The exact reproducibility of The physics as The framerate May vary from several factors nôt related to physics. Is this á drawback from The Interpolation method or do Í understand something wrong ?
When interpolating, you don't modify any of the variables used by the physics/gameplay. You interpolate between the two most recent physics game states in order to produce a temporary graphics game state.

In a multi-threaded game engine, you often want to have a strong separation between physics/gameplay data and renderer data anyway, so this isn't really a problem. You want to copy data out of the physics system and into the rendering system.

Ah ok so you Use á temporary physics state. It see !
Thank you very much for The quick answers ! That Made Things Clear for me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement