🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Commercial vs. "Other" Engine Productivity for a Single Developer

Started by
13 comments, last by Dawoodoz 7 years, 7 months ago
Unity was more toolset oriented relatively

Both are tool-set oriented with Unreal having more tools than Unity has; does that mean Unreal is more tool-set oriented?

I wonder if this is this a big issue with UE4? I know how valuable that is, since I'm used to it.

No it isn't, what he meant (I think) is that a code based engine VS a tool-set engine. With a tool-set engine you load things in and they work, with a code engine you have to write the code and compile before it works.

With Unreal if you use C++ you create a small code and you only have to compile the new code -Unless you mod the source code- so it only takes a small amount of time to compile. The downside is that all C++ code is called using Unreal's blueprints, meaning you can make a game using only blueprints or by using both C++ and blueprint.

Once you understand how blueprint works, it quickly becomes apparent how useful such a system is. With the Blueprints you only need to program a thing like a door opening once and then you can just copy, paste and modify it as you want.

Changes in the Blueprint compiles as fast as the blueprint saves, you won't notice it's so quick variable changes will be made here instead of visual studio that takes longer to compile.

Since the main purpose here was to determine if using something the size of UE4 was feasible for a one person team, and nobody has claimed otherwise here, I think I have my answer. Thanks

It is feasible, although many people will advice Unity over Unreal for a one man team. Unreal is a bit slower to start, making it hard on a single developer but once it's running it gathers momentum allowing you to make larger games in shorter time than other engines.

Unity is much smaller than Unreal to download, it would be best if you tested both. Personally I feel Unreal is much better than Unity, but it's subjective.

Advertisement

Man, GD.net never disappoints. Great feedback, thanks!

Both are tool-set oriented with Unreal having more tools than Unity has

Unreal has eclipsed Unity in its tool-set by having most of the engine available without writing a single line of code.

t is feasible, although many people will advice Unity over Unreal for a one man team. Unreal is a bit slower to start, making it hard on a single developer but once it's running it gathers momentum allowing you to make larger games in shorter time than other engines. Unity is much smaller than Unreal to download, it would be best if you tested both. Personally I feel Unreal is much better than Unity, but it's subjective.

Agree with this 100%!

I started with Unity in the early 3.0 days and now find that UE4 has so much more raw and refined power.

There are some limitation to UE4 that I think Unity doesn't have like UE4 must be build on the platform they will run on. So if you want a Mac or iOS build you will need to have a Mac. Unity gets around this issue, I think by being more api call/script focused.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

There are some limitation to UE4 that I think Unity doesn't have like UE4 must be build on the platform they will run on.

Good to know, I'm usually working on Linux (which UE seems to support now), although I don't see why I couldn't toss stuff onto a Win machine if I ever want to distribute something.

Big engine - "You are not a big enough customer to get support about the missing documentation."

Free engine - "Don't bitch if it's free!"

Write your own - "What was it that I was supposed to do now that the engine is done?"

Pick your poison. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement