🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New Guy Wanting to Know the Best Engine/Program to Make a Card Game

Started by
1 comment, last by LurkFish17 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but I've lurked the forums here and there whenever I was in the game design mood. I recently got the idea to create an updated sequel to an old ps1 card game that I used to like as a kid called Digimon Digital card battle. Here's a video showing the basic flow of how the game works:

I was wondering what would be the easiest engine to use in order to reproduce the game rules and mechanics as closely as possible. I have a decent amount of experience in programming though I would like a situation where I wouldn't have to do too much of the underlying framework and just work on recreating the gameplay flow and ruleset of the game. I can contact some artists as far as the aesthetic portion of the game, and the 3d battles, I can either contact some animators or fake the 3d battle effect with some video files taken of some other Digimon games.

Does anyone know of some software that will allow me to do all of what's shown in the video?

Thanks,

LurkFish

Advertisement

Don't overestimate the boring work on the "underlying framework": if the game engine has good solutions for text layout, animated and unrestricted 2D overlays over 3D scenes and input event handling (including text entry) the boring parts are already covered.

A system of panels, tables etc like in the fairly complex GUI in the video is an important part of your game design, and card game rules are even more "personal".

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Don't overestimate the boring work on the "underlying framework": if the game engine has good solutions for text layout, animated and unrestricted 2D overlays over 3D scenes and input event handling (including text entry) the boring parts are already covered.

A system of panels, tables etc like in the fairly complex GUI in the video is an important part of your game design, and card game rules are even more "personal".

Interesting, I was doing some research on one toolset, but I'm not sure if it's capable of doing what I described.

Here's one I found:

http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement