Advertisement

Calculating wheel camber angle

Started by May 01, 2016 02:58 PM
1 comment, last by adriansnetlis 8 years, 4 months ago

I know that wheel camber angle does change a bit at high lateral speeds.
[attachment=31711:problem1.png]

Also I know that wheel camber angle can change depending on load. The direction of angle change depends on suspension type and settings in this case.

[attachment=31712:problem2.png]

sorry for dumb drawings

I know that there're more affecting factors, but I can't recall now. However, I want to find out, how to calculate all of those angle changes.

Thanks!

OK! All of it seems to be basicly the same exact thing: compression.

When you are sliding sideways, some of the weight is transferred to the outter wheels. Due to this, they get compressed a bit more, but the opposite ones - decompressed. At higher load the compression is higher. At higher speeds the compression changes(due to lift which can either act as lift or as a downforce). The higher compression, the more negative the camer. The lower the compression, the less negative(or even positive) the camber angle is. Now I only need to know how to calculate it.

It's important to note that in dependant suspensions the camber angle is opposite for each wheel.

It's also important to know that calculating camber angle requires knowing the reference point:

[attachment=31867:Camber.png]

This is how I expect to determine the point for different suspension types(it's not that important, tho. could also use just a user-defined vector point). It's the point relative to car around which the camber rotates. There must be defined the compression rate at which the camber is 0, and than it must be possible to calculate camber for any other compression(assuming that compression tells, how much the wheel is lifted up or down in metres). However, I don't know how to calculate the change of angle. How do I calculate the rotation around camber axis required for the wheel to make sure that it's facing exactly the required point? It would be great if I got an equation. Thanks:)

Advertisement

I've found some resources, will read them and post links when I can. It seems, tho, that camber is needed to be calculated in relation to the ground for the friction model. This means that I need 2 cambers(suspension camber and ground-relation camber) for equations. It seems, tho, that it mustn't be hard to do. Wheel Z axis dotted by the surface normal vector should return cos of the angle between ground and wheel. Than I can use it to calculate the degrees.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement