🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can I combine multiple libraries into one?

Started by
3 comments, last by SouthSide Gaming 8 years, 5 months ago

Hi, I am a new game developer and am learning how to make games. Can I combine libraries into one library for call up in code, but the new library is not a standalone app? I want to combine SFML/OpenGL(graphics/audio), and a good physics library(please help). How would I do this?

Also, if I can, how would I call it up in my code after I'm done?

My preferred language is C++. I want to target pc(browser included with Emscripten), and move to Android(NativeActivity) and iOS(Objective C++).

Any other tips? Help is welcome.

Thanks.

EDIT: I don't want to use a game engine because I want the full coding experience, but if you recommend using/making one, please tell me why.

Advertisement
That's basically called "making a game engine".

That's basically called "making a game engine".

Will it still have a "game engine" interface/be a standalone program?

Will it still have a "game engine" interface/be a standalone program?

Game engines aren't necessarily standalone programs like the Unity or Unreal scene editors. Sure, a standalone editor program is a common part of a game engine, but a much more common part is a code library that your standalone game links to (which implements graphics, audio, physics, via SFML/OpenGL/etc...)..

Thanks, Hodgman. Now to find my libraries and get to work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement