🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Lua C API tutorial / book

Started by
1 comment, last by DLudwig 8 years, 7 months ago

Hi!

I am looking for some tutorial or book focusing on the Lua C API.

I find that the reference manual to Lua on this topic is not managing to help me :) The Reference manual is very formal and I am not good at extracting the "how to do it" from it: E.g "Pushes onto the stack the value t[k], where t is the value at the given valid index and k is the value at the top of the stack." - is not easy for me to understand.

Does anyone know of some tutorial / book that explains this a bit different and with some examples?

I am not looking for a book that explains the Lua Language itself, I am finding tutorials that manage to explain me this well.

Sisofys

Advertisement

Programming In Lua, 3rd edition. Like a quarter of the book is dedicated to the C API and the rest is not bad either.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Programming In Lua, 3rd edition. Like a quarter of the book is dedicated to the C API and the rest is not bad either.

I'll second the recommendation for this book. It's written a lot like a tutorial, and gives tons of examples of pure Lua code. I often end up using this book as a reference, instead of the Lua Reference Manual.

The first edition of the book is online for free, but covers an older version of Lua (5.0). The 3rd edition covers Lua 5.2, which does have a couple of breaking changes between it, and Lua 5.0.

-- David L.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement