🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Wang tiles generator

Started by
2 comments, last by denisve 8 years, 10 months ago

Hi, all.

Is there any ready tool to generate a set of wang tiles from a texture? I need a good algorithm for procedural terrain generation and I'm looking into wang tiles right now. Found lots of theoretical articles about it, but no algorithms implementation.

Thanks,

Denis.

Advertisement
Wang tiles are good in theory, somewhat hacky in execution, I've found. Especially in regards to procedurally generating them. Look at the method outlined by the creators of Path of Exile for creating their tiles. A goodly part of it requires iterating on the aesthetic blending/snipping of the texture based on features, something that is not easily proceduralized. Nevertheless, you could construct a method that at least roughly follows their procedure, and depending on source textures you could probably achieve some acceptable results.

I've seen the guide of PoE devs. Problem with it is that, as you said, it requires some designing aesthetic skills, which I don't happen to possess. I'm a programmer, not a designer. So I was hoping more for a algorithmic approach I can implement, instead of designer work I can't really do properly.

Also, the textures for PoE are supposed to be viewed from relatively close distance, whereas my terrain will be viewed from high distance, more like strategy games style.

Anyhow, I'd really appreciate tips for terrain texture generation. Anything that can be implemented from a small/medium sized texture procedurally with GLSL and as little visual repetition as possible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement