Advertisement

Question about Projectile Motion

Started by July 30, 2015 08:57 PM
9 comments, last by Brum87 9 years, 1 month ago

Hey guys, can you help me with this?

The problem is about projectile motion. Given an origin point (ox,oy), a target point (tx,ty) and a initial velocity v, I want to find the angle at which the projectile should be launhed from the origin in order to touch the target. This is the formula I found at wikipedia:

Angle 50d91f80cbb8feda1d10e167107ad1ff.png required to hit coordinate (x,y) from origin (0,0)

c14d095c7d480ca398e25c01a53ed7be.png

So this is my C++ function:

double getAngleToHit(double ox, double oy, double tx, double ty, double v){
    double x = tx - ox;
    double y = -(ty - oy);
    double g = 10;
    return atan2(v*v - sqrt(pow(v,4) - g*(g*x*x + 2*y*v*v)),g*x);
}

Notes:

1) x = tx - ox because the x of the wiki formula is the horizontal range.

2) y = -(ty - oy) same reason as above AND in my game coordinate system the y grows towards the bottom of the screen.

The angle returned is not quite right. I watched this code run various times with different parameters and I noticed a pattern... if y is equals 0, that meaning origin and target are on the same height, the result is something like this:

[attachment=28343:c1.png]

Red = Origin, Green = Target, Blue = Resulting Trajectory

Then I though maybe the wiki formula isn't right and decided to tweek it a little bit and divided x and y by 2. And it worked perfectly, in all cases.

I looked for other sources that could confirme that the wiki formula is right but I couldn't find any. So this is the code I'm working with now:

double x = (tx - ox)/2;
    double y = -(ty - oy)/2;
    double g = 10;
}

But just because I'm not wrong doesn't mean I'm right. Does that makes sense? Can someone give me a light here? Where is the proof of wiki's formula? Why am I wrong and right at the same time? It is driving me crazy, I already checked all my other related funcions dealing with the projectile speed, acceleration, gravity etc.

Thx!

The angle returned is not quite right. I watched this code run various times with different parameters and I noticed a pattern... if y is equals 0, that meaning origin and target are on the same height, the result is something like this:

You have not made arcus tangent inverse goniometric function used in wiki formula that equal with atan2 function, see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atan2#Definition_and_computation

Advertisement

I don't understand what you mean by that. Can you explain me?

According to C++ standard library documentation, atan2(y,x) is equals to atan(y/x).

42f1460603b97ea63f674d4880abe49c.png

As you can see, the relation between atan and atan2 depends on definition values. Since subtracting x and y positions can yield any of those cases, you cannot use "atan2(y,x) is equals to atan(y/x)." assumption that immediate.

May I ask why don't you use atan instead of atan2?

According to C++ standard library documentation, , atan2(y,x) is equals to atan(y/x).

Could you support this statement by some source? It can be true - but I wouldn't think so.

The atan is correct for getting the angle...
You may be getting problems when you solve the quadratic... and in practice the quadratic solution tells you a lot about the solution here.
The quadratic itself can result in 3 cases:
*there are two solutions, one often the one you want and another which is a high angle solution.
*there is one solution which means you are firing your projectile from exactly the furthest location where hitting the target is possible.
*there are no solutions, the target is out of range.
I have a few functions to solve this in my code base depending on my needs. Using your terminology it would be something like this:
* double getBestAngleToHit(...)
* double getAlternateAngleToHit(...) //you may want to return a bool for if it can hit or not and get the angle with a refernce parameter
* bool getBothAngleToHit(double& best, double& alt, ...)
The way I like to solve this is take the quadratic and pass in the parameters as follows -
double a = ( gravity * relative_distance^2 / velocity^2 ) * 0.5;
double b = -relative_distance;
double c = a + relative_height;
...then I use various solvers depending on the function. In this case something like...
bool solveQuadraticMinimum(double a, double b, double c, double& theta); //getting shortest solution
bool solveQuadraticMaximum(double a, double b, double c, double& theta); //getting highest arc solution
bool solveQuadratic(double a, double b, double c, double& theta1, double& theta2); //getting both...

a good summary of the maths can be found here - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/traj.html#tra12

Advertisement

the above methods seem overly involved to me. not to discount them, they may be more efficient or more accurate - i use a simple approach, which is of course suited for my simple implementation - projectiles have a frame rate "direction" vector and a per-frame "gravity incurrence". i solve this as follows:

1) determine distance to target in frames

2) determine the "gravity incurrence" for this many frames

3) aim that far above the target

step 2 may take a pow operation depending on how gravity is implemented, but generally this method requires a few simple operations.

(and of course should be improved, eg. aiming at where the target will be when the projectile gets there.. implementation can become more involved if you add "is target visible in starting position, is target visible in ending position" various stuff).

neither a follower nor a leader behttp://www.xoxos.net

the above methods seem overly involved to me. not to discount them, they may be more efficient or more accurate - i use a simple approach, which is of course suited for my simple implementation - projectiles have a frame rate "direction" vector and a per-frame "gravity incurrence". i solve this as follows:

I see what you are doing with your method... While it might be good for what you are doing, I can see that there are two reasons why it may lead to an inaccurate targeting calculation.

The most important reason is that as the firing angle changes the velocity in the X changes, which means that the time (distance to target in frames) will change also. For fast moving projectiles over a shortish distance I don't suppose you will see this as a problem... but over a long range or slow moving projectiles this may be an issue. All projectiles will fall short of the target point by some margin using this method.

The second which is more an game engineering thing than a maths thing, is using number of frame in your calculation is just a substitution for time. If you change it to be time then your method will produce more similar results in a variable-frame rate world when compared to a fixed-frame rate world. As it stands your method may be very incorrect when using a variable-frame rate.

(and of course should be improved, eg. aiming at where the target will be when the projectile gets there.. implementation can become more involved if you add "is target visible in starting position, is target visible in ending position" various stuff).

This relates more to lead targeting which is how far ahead do I need to aim in order to hit them. I have been finding this quite difficult to figure out the maths using a parabolic, though I'm sure an analytical solution exists. It would be awesome to learn the answer if anyone on here knows how to do it. The problem is the same as I described above (as the angle changes so does the flight time) ...In the meantime I'm getting reasonably accurate results using a linear lead target calculation. that is another quadratic calculation using these parameters:

double a = target_velocity^2 - projectile_velocity^2;
double b = vector_dot_product( target_velocity_vector, target_position_vector - launch_position_vector ) * 2.0;
double c = relative_distance ^ 2;

if there is a solution the result is given in time, so the lead is approx:

target_position_vector + target_velocity_vector * time

another reason to make a quadratic solver function. In this case there are also often 2 solutions, you want the smallest.

Thank you all for your help. It turns out I'm dumb, the wiki formula works totally fine like this:

double x = tx - ox;
    double y = -(ty - oy);
    double g = 10;
}

The issues I had with the weird trajectory had nothing to do with the angle returned by this function. It turns out I was updating all the entities position twice in my code, which explains why when I divided x and y by 2 the trajectory was correct. So yes, wiki is right.

Moving on, the function requires a check to see if the given speed is enough to hit the target. I'm not a physics expert, so correct me if I'm wrong. In order to guarantee that the speed is enough to touch the target, I need to guarantee that the square root within the formula is not imaginary:

pow(v,4) - g*(g*x*x + 2*y*v*v) >= 0

Solving for v, we have that

v >= sqrt((-2*g*y + sqrt(pow(2*g*y,2) + pow(2*g*x,2))/2))

And the code becomes:

double ProjectileSystem::getAngleToHit(double ox, double oy, double tx, double ty, double& v){
    double x = (tx - ox);
    double y = -(ty - oy);
    double g = gravity;
    double vMin = sqrt((-2*g*y + sqrt(pow(2*g*y,2) + pow(2*g*x,2))/2));
    v = max(vMin, v);
}

Which is perfect for what I'm trying to do in my code. I want them arrows to always land where I want to!

The way I like to solve this is take the quadratic and pass in the parameters as follows -

double a = ( gravity * relative_distance^2 / velocity^2 ) * 0.5;
double b = -relative_distance;
double c = a + relative_height;
...then I use various solvers depending on the function. In this case something like...
bool solveQuadraticMinimum(double a, double b, double c, double& theta); //getting shortest solution
bool solveQuadraticMaximum(double a, double b, double c, double& theta); //getting highest arc solution
bool solveQuadratic(double a, double b, double c, double& theta1, double& theta2); //getting both...

How did you end up with this quadratic equation for theta? How doesn't it involve any trigonometric function?

I see what you did there but I'm afraid it wouldn't work for my context as pointed by Brum87.

The atan is correct for getting the angle...

You may be getting problems when you solve the quadratic... and in practice the quadratic solution tells you a lot about the solution here.

No quadratic solvings luckily.

It is true that quadratic deviation explains immediate universal attracting force, by Newton law as , dV=m*a; a=F/m F=G* (m1*m2) / r2 between two objects, yet the formula of angle retrieving, from provided constant g acceleration, can yield a meeting angle upon this system. It is a big unknown of course if there is a third mass object involved influencingly close. This is only to be a simulated system, not computable, and even precision and timestep greatly influence the pathetic simulation. Newton law is , right now, the only determenistic universal law, yet Newton denied it as "too special" desciption theory, since it would predict a too draconic phenomena for universe , that was believed to not obviosly exist ( unlimited speed attractions)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement