🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unreal Engine 4 and Win 8.1

Started by
7 comments, last by rogerdv 9 years, 3 months ago

A couple of weeks ago, a nice guy kindly provided me a precompiled version of Unreal Engine 4.6.1. as the site is blocked to Cuba, I cant register an account and neither have accessto source (dont know if it is already public in github). I installed it here at office, and it runs, but almost unusable because an office PC is way below reuirements. Tried to install it at home, and to my surprise, I got the infamous missing DLLs error. Solved it downloading VS 2013 redist pack for 64 bits. Then it complains about another missing DLL: libfbxsdk. The difference between my office and home PCs? Im using Windows 8.1 at home.

Does somebody has successfully used 8.1 to develop with Unreal? Im seriously thinking going back to Window s7, as the conflicts with development tools are legion: even Unity3D installs but skips monodevelop (I had to manually copy it).

Advertisement

You could solve it by installing the AutoDesk FBX SDK -> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775847

You could also solve your access issue by using a browser cloak - I don't know the lingo - so that the site thinks you are from another country.

Is the Unreal site blocked in Cuba?

About Windows 8 .. I haven't upgraded my win7 because there's nothing in win8 that I want.. ;)

Too many projects; too much time

UE4 should work just fine in Win8.1; the missing SDK is simply going to be down to missing prerequisites; if you could get the engine via the installer like everyone else then it would just work, however as you can't do that you'll have to find them yourself and piece together the install.

You could also solve your access issue by using a browser cloak - I don't know the lingo - so that the site thinks you are from another country.

Is the Unreal site blocked in Cuba?

Epic have to follow US and EU trade laws, as part of that there are 5 (iirc) countries in the world where you can not access the site from or legitimately get the engine to use due to trade being banned with those countries. Cuba is one, Iran is another, NK is a third and I can't recall the others (I think one African nation at least).

These countries are being IP blocked so browser level stuff won't get you around the protection.

https://www.torproject.org/

Too many projects; too much time

My question is, why does it works in Windows 7, but doesnt under Windows 8.1?

The problem with tor is that now Im inside a corporate VPN and have all anonymizing solutions forbidden. unrealengine.com is now open, what is blocked is account creation (same with unity3d site, you can download, but then cant create an account or login, so cant activate the license or post in the forums). Im having a hard time here trying to setup my future game studio, Obama was supposed to be making easier for us, private entrepreneurs, to create bussiness in Cuba, Ill have to call him again biggrin.png

He, again my parent proxy is failing, cant access Autodesk site. Have been trying for 3 days and nothing. Is there some mirror for FBX SDK?

I've used UnoTelly DNS routing (https://www2.unotelly.com/home) successfully to access US only content (no, not just Netflix and Hulu) on a few occasions. It's got the ups of a VPN connection without the limitations. Try it to get into account creation.

Good luck.

Epic have to follow US and EU trade laws, as part of that there are 5 (iirc) countries in the world where you can not access the site from or legitimately get the engine to use due to trade being banned with those countries. Cuba is one, Iran is another, NK is a third and I can't recall the others (I think one African nation at least).
Burma is one. Saw them listed in an Intel GPU code sample download, apparently is the home of some pretty extremist Buddhists :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Burma is one. Saw them listed in an Intel GPU code sample download, apparently is the home of some pretty extremist Buddhists biggrin.png

I knew that those buddhist were dangerous. Maybe all that ommmm is just some clever way to kill by boring. Seriously, I think that Burma had some military dictatorship, thats why they are on the list.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement