🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AexolGL - 3d game engine (web,pc,mobile)

Started by
1 comment, last by AexolGL 9 years, 7 months ago
Hi guys,

I am a mobile developer and I am currently working on a multiplatform game engine.
The engine should be ready by the end of the year. It will allow users ultra fast coding for many platforms such as Android, iOS, Mac, Linux, Windows (PS4 in the future) with Python or C++.

Meanwhile I have published a WebGL based web version on my engine working on Safari, Chrome & Mozilla (javascript). What do you think about this engine? What are you general expectations? What can I do better? How can I make coding faster, better experience for devs?
Examples are here: http://gl.aexol.com/livedit/
Free engine downloadable here: http://gl.aexol.com/engine/web/

It would be awesome to hear some feedback from you guys! Take care!
[attachment=24802:Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 14.58.26.png]

Advertisement

Just some thoughts.

Do you build a game engine or a render engine ? A game engine should support more game related features (eg. physics libs, entity system, AI sub systems, scripting system, network system, editors/tools ).

The name and notation of AexolGL remindes me of OpenGL. My first thought was, that it was some hardware related GPU API like Mantel.

What are you general expectations?

The honest truth is:

You need to surpass the free engines and will most likely be in direct competition with UDK4,crytek and unity if you want to take money. I would expect at least a single reference game if it costs money or lot of demos if it is free.

What can I do better?

The engine market is ruled by really large player (frostbite,udk4,unity,crytek), most offering some inexpensive license, resulting in really tough competition.

Look at your competition, most likely you will be in direct competition with unity/udk4. Where is your product better then theirs ? Why should I use your product over theirs ? Why should I invest time and money to evaluate your product ?

Answer this questions yourself and you will know where you need to get better.

You don't need necessarily better rendering capacity or faster game AI or better physics behavior, but eventually you need something, a niche, where you beat your competition.

Just some thoughts.
Do you build a game engine or a render engine ? A game engine should support more game related features (eg. physics libs, entity system, AI sub systems, scripting system, network system, editors/tools ).

The name and notation of AexolGL remindes me of OpenGL. My first thought was, that it was some hardware related GPU API like Mantel.

A game engine. In final version with mobile + pc deployment we would have typical game engine stuff.

The honest truth is:
You need to surpass the free engines and will most likely be in direct competition with UDK4,crytek and unity if you want to take money. I would expect at least a single reference game if it costs money or lot of demos if it is free.

The engine market is ruled by really large player (frostbite,udk4,unity,crytek), most offering some inexpensive license, resulting in really tough competition.
Look at your competition, most likely you will be in direct competition with unity/udk4. Where is your product better then theirs ? Why should I use your product over theirs ? Why should I invest time and money to evaluate your product ?
Answer this questions yourself and you will know where you need to get better.

The site is still under construction. Examples will keep on coming. End of December/January first game will be published to App Store & Google Play store.

We are still not 100% sure about the pricing but we have some competitive ideas :) About UDK4, Crytek and Unity - that's a harsh true.

Our goal is not to be compared to the big ones, we are aiming into indie devs and small/medium studio which would like to try themselves in 3d projects.

The idea behind the engine is single code, one click deployment to iOS, Android, PC platforms. We hope this would be our niche.

Thanks for feedback! Appreciate it a lot :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement