🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The move to C++...but when to game development?

Started by
1 comment, last by Visual Developer 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi there, My name is Shuaib, and I I have just turned 17 (DOB: 25/10/1984). I have spent the last 2 years of my life learning VB - stuff like ADO, DAO, Database Apps, General VB Programming, Windows API etc. I have now made the move to C++ programming (YES, I just learnt how to make the HELLO World! App. The reason I am moving to C++ is because of the amount of research I have done. I have found that 90% of commercial software is made using C++, and almost all 3D games are made using C/C++ aswell. Yesterday I just went out to buy the following: SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days - Jesse Liberty WROX Beginning C++ - The Complete Language - ANSI/ISO Compliant - Ivor Horton I have started reading the SAMS book and I am started to pic up some knowledge on C++. GREAT!!! I''d like to know when will I know I have enough C++ knowledge to go and pick up a book on OpenGL or DirectX. Another question is, just say I get 3D Studio Max 4 and i create say a little 3D Box. What is the process of gettin that little 3d box and sticking it on the screen in a C++ program and making a visible in all directions??? Thanks, Shuaib (shuaib84@hotmail.com) 17, LONDON, UK
Visual Developer
Advertisement
Well, actually, you can use DirectX quite easily in VB. But considering you want C++, I''d give it a bit of time. Get a good foundation in C++ then move on to the 2 big graphics APIs. But for both, a good general knowledge of 3d concepts would help; if you want 2d, I would suggest DirectX. OpenGL is a decent bit easier to start with so you would just need to be comfortable with reading C++ code. If you want to go with DirectX... give it a bit more time. Things can get a little hairy there.
Oh yeah! I forgot. About loading and viewing a 3DS file, that''s something I would definitely wait on. You''d probably want to convert the 3DS file to an X file, which I believe are easier to work with in DX (and maybe OGL?). I''m sure someone will tell you where to find one. Then, I''m not sure on the code, but I can tell you that you probably don''t want to jump in by coding a 3D model viewer as your first 3D project...

Maybe start by making the shapes through code so you can get comfortable with your API of choice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement