🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

dumb, just like a blonde female

Started by
25 comments, last by garconbifteck 22 years, 8 months ago
I am clueless i can do java-script... I wanna do something with programming, oh yeah im 14 nearly 15 can anyone direct me north, south, east, west i wanna learn c or c++ but nowhere explains the differences what can be done with each, or are they virtually the same thing i just need someone to direct me the way of a beginner..... with christmas coming up i should get a bit of money but can anyone tell me a beginners book to buy, that perhaps i could get for under £50? is that possible cos a java-script book was £35..... so i learnt off of an online tutorial.... but it would seem c and c++ are harder gimme some start tips please someone anyone........ --------------------------------- --Please help me-- --i just wanna make a proggy-- --games is a dream in the future--
Advertisement
Buy the book Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days.

Read each chapter and take the tests.

Don''t rush .. if you rush you might as well give up.

Read the chapters over if you don''t pass the test.

And lastly....

Good luck!

Artificial intelligence is the devil... resist intelligent NPC''s

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
1. Do not insult blondes or females, it's foolish and rude.

2. Pick a language. If you already know java-script, then you might want to go for Java as the learning curve is pretty low, however most of the folks on these boards will probably disagree with me and say learn C or C++ (which, BTW, is a good one to start with as well).

3. Most of the 'Teach Yourself [Insert Chosen Language Here] In 21 Days' books are good places to start for beginners.

"So crucify the ego, before it's far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool

Edited by - wayfarerx on October 24, 2001 6:04:05 PM
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
Wow these forums are burning hot i only posted this around 2 minutes ago and i get 2 replies :-) Thankyou all...
------------
I shall probably buy that book
off the net though cos i feel scared about going into pc world to buy something like that.... it scares me.
----
sorry about my dumb blonde thing it was an attempt to get attention.
-------------

What is the difference between c and c++?
quote: Original post by garconbifteck

C++ is a superset of the C programming language, initially just "C with objects" but now a divergent dialect entirely its own. C++ was and is designed to promote object-oriented programming while C was originally designed for procedural programming, though it is quite possible to implement object-oriented designs in C. C was created to be a compact and flexible, yet powerful language as ideal for systems programming as for applications programming, and it has largely succeeded.

You can think of C as a first cousin to assembly.

C++ is currently not too convenient for systems programming, but the next revision is aimed at improving that. You can think of C++ as another assembly first cousin, once removed.
Wow these forums are burning hot i only posted this around 2 minutes ago and i get 2 replies :-) Thankyou all...

Yes, these forums rule.

quote:
I shall probably buy that book
off the net though cos i feel scared about going into pc world to buy something like that.... it scares me.

Why are you scared of computer stores? That's like computer nerd wonderland man!

quote:

C++ is an extension of C that has a bunch of different features. While you're starting out you probably won't need to be too concerned with it.

"So crucify the ego, before it's far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool

Edited by - wayfarerx on October 24, 2001 6:22:24 PM
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
so you are telling me go for c?

"Why are you scared of computer stores? That''s like computer nerd wonderland man!"

Thats whats scary dude im 14 im supposed to be trying to get a girl not learning how to make fecking games.....
quote: Original post by WayfarerX
C++ is an extension of C that has a bunch of different features. While you''re starting out you probably won''t need to be too concerned with it.

I always disagree with this bit of conventional wisdom (it''s the root of much C++ programming malpractice). Beginners can start out in C++ just as comfortably as they can in C, provided they are properly instructed. As proof, I point to the fact that many schools have switched to teaching intro programming classes in Java.

so you are telling me go for c ?

I''d say go for C++. It''s way more capable, and encompasses all of C, so you can always "fall back" on C (with a little confusion) when you have to.
Heres a good site with good tutorials on c++ there what I learned off of. http://www.cprogramming.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement