🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenGL or DirectX??

Started by
0 comments, last by PredeX 22 years, 10 months ago
I''d like to know which of the 2 API is either better, easier to learn, better documented....and your personal opinion about them. I know that OpenGL can be used with any language, and DirectX is neither portable like OpenGL is nor can you use any language. But OpenGL only has the 3D graphics and stuff like DirectSound is missing. Is it right that you can implement DirectSound into OpenGL?? and is it still portable as without i.e DirectSound?? And again: which of the 2 API is either better, easier to learn, better documented...?
Let us learn to dream, gentleman, and the we may perhaps find the truth - F. A. Kekulé
Advertisement
Well I''m probably the last person you would ask about comparing these two, but you can''t stop me from posting :D
From my (short) experience with both of these APIs, I prefer Directx. OpenGL definitely had the better graphics of the two (note: I''m speaking from limited experience), but I looked at all the games I owned, and all were made in DirectX, including Everquest, Diablo 2, etc. And personally I think (so far) that DirectX has been easier, but I''d recommend using both and seeing which you like better and work from there. Good luck to ya!
Half the people you know are below average.Trogdor the Burninator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement