🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unless SDL_Mixer is REALLY good...

Started by
9 comments, last by thedevdan 19 years, 11 months ago
I think I'm going to use FMOD for the sound in my engine. It won't be a big deal to go back and change it(it won't break my code), but is there any reason that I should use SDL_Mixer other than the FMOD license? I was thinking of using SDL_Mixer, but FMOD seems much more powerful and user-friendly. I am using SDL for graphics, input, and timer. Is there a striking reason I should add sound to the list (however, I will be using SDL_Mixer instead of SDL_Audio).
Not giving is not stealing.
Advertisement
use FMOD. SDL_Mixer is a pain, and it doesn't have the functionality FMOD does.
SDL_Mixer is another rather low level, close to the metal tool. You're way better off with FMOD.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
SDL_mixer is buggy (or at least was last time we used it).
I recomand OpenAL+Ogg/Vorbis
Fmod has some restrictions, and the MP3 format is not exactly free either for comemrcial products.
umm SDL_Mixer sucks but i didnt find it that hard. is FMOD really that easy to use?
Quote: SDL_Mixer is another rather low level, close to the metal tool.

You're kidding, right? Maybe it's just because I've done a fair bit of coding with PortAudio, JACK, and the like, but I wouldn't really consider calling functions like Mix_LoadMUS("file.ogg") and Mix_PlayMusic() "low level."

As far as thedevdan's original question goes, the only reasons I can think to stick with SDL_Mixer are licensing and portability. If you have enough money to purchase a license for FMOD, or if you're not charging anything for your game, that shouldn't be a problem. Portability is probably a small issue as well. FMOD now has a Linux port, so unless you want to port to BeOS, *BSD, AtheOS, or some other esoteric operating system, you don't need to worry about that either.
-bodisiw
Noah, ive said the same thing before. people always talk about SDL like its low level, but to me it seems pretty Simple, a little too simple to be considered low level. but everyone else ive ever talked to says otherwise =)
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
I agree that there's not a very good reason to be stuck to SDL for all of your needs. SDL_mixer in my view is every bit as easy to use as everything else in SDL, but I found FMOD to be more useful, and, if it's possible, easier to use.
Thanks for the replies.

From FMOD's site:

Quote: FMOD is the fastest, most powerful and easiest to use sound system on Windows, Linux, and Windows CE there is, and now Macintosh, GameCube, PS2 & XBox!.

I don't know which OSs that would be... if they say it that way I assume all of the more modern ones, correct? If someone has a definitive answer that would be great. I am really trying to keep my code portable here. Also, the license isn't a problem, because I won't be making any money off of this, and if I ever choose to, switching will be fairly easy.

Anyone who is wondering whether to use FMOD: It is so simple that it makes no sense. It is to sound what SDL is to graphics, I would say.

EDIT: On their site, in the features section, it again says "Apple Macintosh", so I don't know which OSs.

But I did find this disturbing: no MIDI support for Linux/Mac?
Not giving is not stealing.
I guess it's OSX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement