🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Automatic Project Configuration

Started by
1 comment, last by hellz 19 years, 11 months ago
Is there any easier way to setup new projects, with your own specific requirements? I'm asking this for Visual Studio .NET, but I'd imagine the answer applies to most compilers. Say, for example, when starting a new Allegro project, I need to setup 3 different configurations: - Debug - Profile - Release For each one, I need to link to a different library. I also need to tweak a few other linker/language settings in order for the application to be compiled correctly. However, instead of having to specify all of these options every time I start a new project, is there a way to automate the process? I have a feeling it's what a makefile is for. So, I googled around and haven't found much. There's also no definition of "makefile" in the Game Dictionary and there's no definition on Webopedia. Anyone care to shed some light? [smile] Thanks in advance, -hellz
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by hellz
There's also no definition of "makefile" in the Game Dictionary.

Well that sucks. How do you submit new entries again?

Anyway, makefiles can fix this IINM. That way, you can type "make debug", "make release", and "make profile" to compile each of your configurations. I can't help you with any options .NET might offer on this area though, since I don't use it. I would definitely look into that, since makefiles are a huge pain in the butt IMHO.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

Thanks as always, mate. [smile] I'll have a dig around more tomorrow (nearly 2am here [tears]). Oh, and you can submit an entry to the dictionary, here. [smile]

Thanks again,

-hellz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement