🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

my sdl game

Started by
7 comments, last by dragonbide 19 years, 11 months ago
Hey, check out my crappy little sdl game :P. it's at http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~jordanaf (address also in my sig). It's not very impressive, but it works at least lol. I'm now busy testing other game functions and organizing my obscure functions into classes... going to eventually make a scrolling action/adventure-style game.
-------------------------------Visit my game site!
Advertisement
By the way, it's currently compiled to run under windows... I have the source on the site as well if you really want to compile it under linux or something.
With this makefile it compiles nicely under linux, no alterations to the code (cheers on that):

-------------
CC   = g++RES  = OBJ  = main.o CSprite.o CSpriteBase.o $(RES)LIBS =  `sdl-config --libs`INCS =  `sdl-config --cflags`BIN  = monkeysCFLAGS = $(INCS) -s -ggdb -O.PHONY: cleanall: monkeysclean:        rm -f $(OBJ) $(BIN)$(BIN): $(OBJ)        $(CC) $(OBJ) -o $(BIN) $(RES) $(LIBS) $(CFLAGS)main.o: main.cpp         $(CC) -c main.cpp -o main.o $(CFLAGS)CSprite.o: CSprite.cpp        $(CC) -c CSprite.cpp -o CSprite.o $(CFLAGS)CSpriteBase.o: CSpriteBase.cpp        $(CC) -c CSpriteBase.cpp -o CSpriteBase.o $(CFLAGS)

-------------

Of course I had to copy the executable into the directory from the binary version of the game so it had access to the resources.

Nice little demo, pacman eating monkeys made me laugh for some reason.

-- Aaron
sweetness. can i put that on my site?
Quote: Original post by dragonbide
sweetness. can i put that on my site?

Certainly. If you make changes and want to know if it still works under linux, I'd be happy to update it.

I can be reached at:

mrhollow At hollowworks Dot com

(Of course mangled for spam reasons.)

-- Aaron
I'm really not suprised. I've been trying so many games that people showcase on these forums and not one (not ONE) has worked. This one gets the stupid illegal operation error. Don't worry it's not your program, its this peice of crap computer.
The game ran fine for me without any problems but I have a few suggestions for future version.

Perhaps you could make the main character smaller? It seems overly large for the current screen size, also adding new frames for when you are moving up/down so the character always faces the direction you are moving.

Second would be some sort of counter in the bottom of the screen to show how many monkeys you have currently eaten along with a counter to show how much time is left which will add a little excitement if your going for a new high score.
Yup, those are all good ideas. I don't know if I'll make another version of monkeys... I just used it to mess with SDL. Now that I'm a bit better with it, I'm making some more small games to improve my abilities (almost done with a snake clone right now).
I can't seem to get the damn SDL_ttf library (for text/numbers) to compile correctly in Visual Studio .NET 2003, so I'm gonna try it out with Dev C++... hopefully I can add scores and stuff that way :) .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement