🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone here interested in StarCraft modding?

Started by
6 comments, last by Jamessmith 19 years, 11 months ago
(See title)
Advertisement
Not modding, but I've created bizarre gametypes with the map editor. I find that more interesting than trying to slog through the code to develop custom player models and actions.

I ported Z to the damn thing using the map editor - called it "road war Z" 'cause it was based on the road war map.
-- Single player is masturbation.
I used to do some light SC modding back in the day; when I came back to SC, I was surprised to find Camelot dead, and the tools at basically the same level they were when I left. Recently I've been leaning more towards mapmaking than MPQ editing or anything; somehow I find it much more satisfying to release a map that makes others online go "ooh, how'd you do that?"

Is your post looking for anything in particular?
Why not make a starcraft mod in WC3 or C&C engine? That could be cool...
Yeah, modding was nice, but back in those good old days of starcraft, what was really cool was creating maps with insane features made only using triggers.

Does anyone here remember Jotaf98's Science Vessel? It was fairly popular when I haunted bnet's staredit forums :)

I remember I wrote a few dozen tutorials on creating cool map features, and one of my maps even won a couple of prizes (The Trap Pit, a paintball game with more features than I could write in only one page of text). Ah, those were the days =P

I checked back like an year ago and all the gurus had left too. So it didn't surprise me when I saw that UMS maps had almost stagnated... And yeah, Camelot died :/ Along with all of the good sites like GoldenUrg's (the creator of the Chess map and one of the modding utilities :) ). It's kinda sad that I can't remember most of the people there... heh it was like 5 or 6 years ago :)
Yup, I was a big fan of Camelot's tools. I did a lot of tinkering for fun but never really did anything that substantive. I was gonna makeg a comppletely customized campaign/mod. I made a few scenarios and things but never finished it.
I remember doing big explosions for traps by spawning and immediately killing off a large group of Archons. Kinda wierd, because the 'explosion' would interlace between buildings, but it worked well enough when you needed to illustrate a massive area effect blast of some sort.

To quote Stephen King, the world has moved on. I'm afraid that there isn't much of a mod community for StarCraft any more. :(
RTS in general evolved to 3-d so there was no point going back to modding 2-d stuff... you'd have to make a mod of starcraft with another game mae in 3-d (let's say W3). but that would be pointless then... modding in another game is not the same.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement