🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

(SDL) Input question

Started by
10 comments, last by eedok 19 years, 11 months ago
I was wondering , I am making a 2D Sidescrolling game , and I want to make the players ship shoot when the Spacebar is released , not when it is pressed. I know you can do this in java but I was wondering how you could do it in SDL using C++.
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
Advertisement
Did you try using the SDL_KEYUP event?
i tried but it didn't seem to work.
This is how I tried

if(event.type == SDL_KEYUP){if(keys[SDLK_SPACE]){ addBullet();}}

Quote: Original post by Sir Sapo
i tried but it didn't seem to work.
This is how I tried

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Does "keys' represent the state of the keys? If so, keys[space] may be set to false depending on where in your code you poll the keyboard. Try removing the inner "if".
Not giving is not stealing.
I am pretty new to SDL so I am just going off of a tutorial right now. This is where keys is first in the program.

keys = SDL_getKeyState(NULL)
Do you do that every loop?
Yes , everytime.
Do you do that before the event checking?
Here is my entire Game Loop...

while(done == 0)  {    SDL_Event event;    while ( SDL_PollEvent(&event) )    {      if ( event.type == SDL_QUIT )  {  done = 1;  }      if ( event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN )      {        if ( event.key.keysym.sym == SDLK_ESCAPE ) { done = 1; }      }    }    keys = SDL_GetKeyState(NULL);    if(event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN)    {    if ( keys[SDLK_UP] ) { player.accelY(-3); }    if ( keys[SDLK_DOWN] ) { player.accelY(3); }    if ( keys[SDLK_LEFT] ) { player.accelX(-3); }    if ( keys[SDLK_RIGHT] ) { player.accelX(3); }    }    if(event.type == SDL_KEYUP)    {    if(keys[SDLK_SPACE]){addBullet();}    }    GameLoop();  }

Don't mix the event handling with SDL_GetKeyState like that. Events only fire when a key is pressed or released, but later you're checking the state to see if the key's been constantly held down or not.

Firstly, just remove the 'if(event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN)' bit before checking the 'keys' array. That's totally irrelevant and redundant here.

Secondly, move the 'if(event.type == SDL_KEYUP)' section into the while loop. Otherwise you'll never check for that space-bar release unless it happened to be the last event of that frame.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement