🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Torque 3D engine, worth it?

Started by
17 comments, last by Sean Doherty 19 years, 11 months ago
Hi Im a newb, I have no experience with C++, but I have the will to learn! Recently I learned of an 3D engine called Torque, it seems quite appealing to me, sense it has support for my 3D modelling software, milkshape. It claims that it is the easiest way to start making commercial games, plus the license is reasonably priced at only $100, I am a Big FPS fan, so this looks like its right up my ally, but does anybody here have experience with this engine? Would it be good for a beginner to start learning C++ game development? Thanks
Advertisement
There was a thread on this forum about the very same subject. Use the search button.
Anyway, to respond your question, yes, it's worth it. Even the Quake 1 engine is 10K USD.
I have been doing some research and have found 3 engines Im interested in...

Torque
Genesis 3D
and Neoengine

My question, is, Which one is better for a beginner programmer?
Quote: Original post by Major Payne
Genesis 3D

Not that one. It's woefully old. The other 2 should be fine.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
The only problems I have heard are that, Torque is hard for beginners, and is geared mainly towards MP games. And I havnt heard much of anything about Neoengine, what is it?
Torque is well worth every penny...

If you're afraid of it being too hard for a newbie, then buy the book 3D Game Programming All In One (it includes a demo of Torque; you can also download a demo from garagegames.com). That will give you a kickstart.
--------------------Life after death? Is it like terminate and stay resident?
I just checked out the Neoengine, it looks quite nice, with lots of advanced effects, it even says it has support for pixel and vertex shaders, not that I will be using those for a long long time. But which one is better?

Torque or Neoengine?
Well, I think you should spend a week+ learning basics of c++ before you try anything. Also you have to realize everything will be extemely hard and mostly NOT fun the first time around.

Go look at some of the game source codes and make sure you can stay focused to do all the work.

Also, when looking at engines, make sure the engine is good for the type of fps you are aiming to make. I think the Torque engine is for wide open outside areas.

I understand that I will have to learn C++ basics first before every trying to even look at a 3D engine, but I just wanted to know that when I do finally take that plunge, what engine should I try? Im mostly looking for the easiest and quickest engine to learn, because Im only 15 and I am going to be teaching myself C++ because my cheap school has no classes on it.
If it makes any difference, you can use Torque without learning C++.

Don't be surprised if your game turns into a first person shooter though.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement