🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Best Scripting Language(s)....?

Started by
10 comments, last by no one 20 years ago
I really hate having to go through a metric ton of crap to interface my C++ code with lua, even when using tolua it''s still anoying, plus the language isn''t really suitable for my purposes. To ask "what is the best script language" would be very vague since the best would be the one that worked the ''best'' with your project. So, ill explain what Im doing... Alrighty, Im going to be using the script language for two things: the level files will contain the ai scripts, and information to load in all of the game objects and then add them to the scene graph, also, gameplay logic will be stored in each level. As you can see, quite a lot will be scripted. I need a fast, lightweight language that is easy to bind my C++ code to. Ive looked at python, can''t really understand wtf you do to bind your code with it, lol. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. ~Jason
"Make it a habit to be loyal to the activities that serve the highest part of yourself."
Advertisement
Have you had a look at LuaBind? It''s a libary for binding C++ code to LUA and it''s pretty easy to use.

What about LUA isn''t suitable for your project anyway?
Check out this book called "Programming Linux Games", the ebook version is free. It has a chapter (or more) about scripting in games, I think the example it uses is Tcl.
Try Small
To bind python and C++, there are (easier than standard awful way ) ways :
Boost -> Template based
Swig -> Code parser that generate C++ interface.

I''m using SWIG that I found faster a few years ago, but things could have changed since.
Have you tried the tolua++ bindings generator? It does pretty much everything automatically. Just cut'n'paste class definitions into a package file and use it to generate bindings for that class.
You don't have to write a single line of code :D

Edit: I should had read your message twice before replying. What is it you don't like about tolua?

[edited by - Codexus on June 6, 2004 9:16:44 AM]
Ive used luaBind and its fairly simple to use.

Even better (and little more complete - but bigger footprint) I prefer Python and using the Boost.Python module to integrate it into your app is a simplicity itself.

Generally i like the boost stuff as its always well documented and tested (most modules come with unit test that you can run yourself and the designs tend to be nice as they are peer reviewed before submissions.

JavaScript (a la SpiderMonkey) is a lot easier to bind to C++ than Lua. The only thing I don''t think it can do is call script-defined functions from the Host. It probably can, I just can''t work out how to do it yet
EOSScript
eosscript.org
you will read there:
EOSscript is a powerfull library for applications to easily extend their functionality through an easy scripting interface. EOSscript is a light-weight scripting language. This means that you can''t develope entire applications only with EOSscript... the main functionality is given by the host application which implents and uses EOSscript. The idea was to create a scripting language which is easy to use (both for the developer and the scripter), supports object-oriented programming and easy data transfer of the script and host (C++) enviroment. EOSscript was developed for being used in games so their main goal is to fit all the needs a game scripting language have to offer...

eosscript.org
Try Squirrel
Its a nice scripting language with C++ like syntax, it appears to be flexable, reasonably fast and not very memory hungry.

Well, I am happy with it, at least, and though I used to use both Lua and Python for scripting, I use Squirrel exclusively now.

[edited by - issch on June 12, 2004 11:21:11 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement