🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

LUA and state machine update

Started by
2 comments, last by quasty 20 years, 3 months ago
Hi, im thinking about a design for the scripting functionality. Would it make sense to go adding methods to the system which set up a new state for the engine or an object. The way I thought this through (and please correct me if i''m wrong) would be then a new state on the lua stack. This state has to be updated regulary - so the inevitable action for this state will be called (or change into another state). If this is a way it could be done then how much does lua do of it? Is there internal support for these things (state update and transition) or do I have to use lua simply as a state-changer and have to do the rest in the code? btw - can i somewhere look in program code for a game which does basic object scripting with lua? So I get a little bit of insight how it could be done. thanx
Advertisement
A game called U61 uses Lua as does Zangband.
Relic''s Homeworld uses Lua, and was open sourced recently : check the developer network at relic.com
Far cry also uses lua. You can download the demo and take a look at it. Most of the scripts are commented even

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement