🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Best python binding library

Started by
3 comments, last by teamonkey 20 years, 4 months ago
Hi I''ve done some embedding of Python in C++ before using the native C interface and it''s a case of "been there, done that, don''t want to do it again." I''m currently looking at SWIG or BOOST as a wrapper to make things nicer, and I''ve also heard of something called "ppembed" which I can''t find much about (I think it was given out with some O''Reilly book or other). I''m looking for recommendations, and what are the strength and weaknesses of the various wrappers? My needs are fairly basic. I''ve got a few classes with functions that I want to be able to access from Python scripts, and I''ve got some Python functions that I want to access from C++. Class member access isn''t essential (I can do that through functions). It needs to be cross-platform and work with GCC/Dev-C++. Native C++ would be helpful, but not at all essential. I''d prefer not to have to run the code through a preprocessor if possible, but I''m probably going to have to live with that. I''m not looking for an ultra-high-level solution here, just something to make embedding Python a little less god-awful. What do you reckon? Cheers
[teamonkey] [blog] [tinyminions]
Advertisement
A lot of people say positive things about the Boost system, providing they can get it to compile. There are a couple of other links in the Forum FAQ so you might take a look at any documentation while you''re waiting for other opinions.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
quote: Original post by Kylotan
A lot of people say positive things about the Boost system, providing they can get it to compile.

Boost 1.31 claims "a simpler build procedure" for boost::python

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” — Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
quote: Original post by Fruny
Boost 1.31 claims "a simpler build procedure" for boost::python

that is, if you have VC.net.. i couldnt get it to compile with vc6. I really should think about investing in a new compiler. :|

that aside, the build process is simpler than 1.30 but not by much

[edited by - syrillix on February 24, 2004 6:12:37 PM]
Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'... - Shawshank RedemptionIf a man is talking in the forest, and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong? - UnknownFulcrum
I did try Boost a while ago but wasn''t impressed. The new release might be a lot better, so long as it builds with MinGW32.

Thanks.
[teamonkey] [blog] [tinyminions]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement