🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Lua: getting started

Started by
23 comments, last by 23yrold3yrold 21 years, 10 months ago
quote: Original post by shurcool
i was just wondering if a compiled Lua script is secure. what i mean by that, is that you can''t decompile it back to a script, similar to that of a dll file. because that would compromise security, which is not an option for my game (people will make cheats easier than ever).

---
shurcool
wwdev

Lua scripts, I''m sure, can be easily decompiled. On the other hand, if you''re trusting your game client not to cheat, you''re already making a big mistake. Bytecode might be easier to decompile than object code, but not by much.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Sneftel
Lua scripts, I''m sure, can be easily decompiled.

what is there to decompile in a Lua script? it''s already decompiled. which is why i was talking about the bytecode, or compiled Lua script.

quote: On the other hand, if you''re trusting your game client not to cheat, you''re already making a big mistake.

where did you get that from? i''m not trusting the client with things like i killed player x, but if one can modify the scripts (which will be a big part of the game: weapons, game modes, etc.), he/she can easily make a wall-hack (not sure about this...) or an aim-bot (definitely possible) very easily. no need to hook anything whatsoever.

quote: Bytecode might be easier to decompile than object code, but not by much.

thanks, that''s what i wanted to hear... almost. that means that it''s pretty safe, right?

---
shurcool
wwdev
Shurcool, that''s absolutely incorrect.

It''s all in how you design the game. Look at Starsiege: Tribes. All the scripts are just plain text files that are easy as snot to modify. You have all the access to the scripts with no security whatsoever.

Yet, with all that, the only way a wall-hack or aimbot was ever made was by hacking the .exe.
daerid@gmail.com
quote: Original post by shurcool
what is there to decompile in a Lua script? it''s already decompiled. which is why i was talking about the bytecode, or compiled Lua script.

Sorry for the ambiguous wording. I was, of course, referring to the bytecode version of the script.

quote: if one can modify the scripts (which will be a big part of the game: weapons, game modes, etc.), he/she can easily make a wall-hack (not sure about this...) or an aim-bot (definitely possible) very easily.

Both are legitimate problems. IIRC, there have been several helpful threads addressing this.

quote: thanks, that''s what i wanted to hear... almost. that means that it''s pretty safe, right?

No, it means both of those are very UNSAFE.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
all right then. thanks guys, i guess i''ll have to make scripts useless to hacking. but then again, they reveal the info about how a game is structured, making it easier to hack the exe. so i guess i''ll keep ''em as precompiled bytecode, but not assume it''s totally undecompilable.

---
shurcool
wwdev

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement